- BS in microbiology and biochemistry, summa cum laude, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
- MD degree, University of Health Sciences, Chicago Medical School, Chicago, Ill.
General Surgery, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Board certified in general surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Re-certified in 2000 and 2010
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Priestly Society (Mayo Surgery alumni)
- Mayo Alumni Society
- Minnesota Surgical Society
- Chief of Credentials, North Memorial Health, Robbinsdale, MN (2018-19)
- Chief of Staff, North Memorial Health, Robbinsdale, MN (2017-18)
- Vice Chief of Staff, North Memorial Medical Center, Robbinsdale, MN (2016-17)
- Chief of Surgery, North Memorial Medical Center (2014-16)
- Past President, Minnesota Surgical Society
- Past Executive Board Member, Minnesota Surgical Society
- Past Secretary, St. Paul Surgical Society
- Past Chief of Surgery, St. Joseph’s Hospital, St. Paul, MN
- Major, SAR/DR Mission Pilot, North Hennepin Squadron, Minnesota Wing Civil Air Patrol, USAF Auxiliary
Top Doctor, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, 2016
Dr. Vitas is a military aviation enthusiast, private pilot, and a bluegrass guitar player. He and his wife, Jewel, have two sons: Joey, a graduate of The Berklee College of Music (Boston), and Danny, a graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Why did you choose to become a surgeon?
I am very interested in direct patient care and clinical medicine. Natural technical skills in hand-eye coordination, combined with close patient contact, interest in procedural, well-defined curriculum, and a strong desire to teach led me directly to surgery.
What’s special about Specialists in General Surgery?
In addition to skilled, thoughtful and caring partners, who are most importantly true human beings, SGS has absolute top-notch physician assistants, and managerial and office staff. As surgeons, we have excellent support at all times, with patient care the absolute common primary objective.