- BS in biology, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
- MD degree, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
University of Kansas, Wichita, Kan.
- Board certified in general surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor
American College of Surgeons
- Spirit of Creighton
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Best Doctor for Women, Minnesota Monthly Magazine, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Best Doctors, Minnesota Monthly Magazine, 2014, 2015
- Maple Leaf Award
- Active at St. Vincent de Paul church and school; musician and vocalist
- Active at Totino-Grace High School
- Active in TSE, Inc.
Volunteer as a surgeon for:
- Hospital Bon Samaritain, Limbe, Haiti
- Institute for Latin America Concern Hernia Program for hernia and hydrocele repair, Santiago de los Cabballeros, Dominican Republic
- Hernia Help Now, Ouanaminthe, Haiti
- Common Hope, Surgical Procedures, Antigua, Guatemala
- Obras Sociales del Hermano Pedro
Dr. Kern enjoys music, juggling, origami, and participating in triathlons.
Why did you choose to become a surgeon?
I enjoy the technical nature of the work, the problem solving process, and helping people through the transition of surgical illnesses.
What’s special about Specialists in General Surgery?
The people, our surgeons and our staff are second to none. Their dedication, genuine concern for our patients, and ability are inspiring.