“Surgeons have the ability to step in and intervene in a patient’s moment of greatest need and help to restore health,” said Jonathan Gipson, MD, FACS, to explain why he became a surgeon. “At Specialists in General Surgery, we allow our surgeons to focus on patient care in a supportive, friendly environment,” he said. “Here, I am supported by superb staff and surgeon partners.” When he’s not working, Dr. Gipson enjoys spending time with family, summer running, winter skiing, water sports, and reading.
Special Medical Interests:
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Pancreas and foregut (esophagus and stomach) cancer surgery
- Complex laparoscopic and robotic surgical procedures, including gastric bypass, gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia
- Emergency surgical procedures
- Surgical management of trauma
- BA in history, Carleton College, Northfield, Minn.
- MD degree, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Residency: Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, Minn.
- Board certified in general surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- American College of Surgeons
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Surgical Association of Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Minnesota Committee on Trauma
- Minnesota Metro Regional Trauma Advisory Committee
- Past President, Specialists in General Surgery
- Medical Director, Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, North Memorial Health Hospital
- Medical Director, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, North Memorial Health Hospital
- Healthgrades Recognized Doctor
- Best Doctor, Minnesota Monthly Magazine, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Top Doctor, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021