Steven Kern, M.D., F.A.C.S., said he chose to become a surgeon because he enjoys the technical nature of the work, including the problem-solving process and helping people through the transition of surgical illnesses. He enjoys working at Specialists in General Surgery because he believes the surgeons and staff are second to none. “Their dedication, genuine concern for our patients, and abilities are inspiring,” he said. In his spare time, Dr. Kern enjoys music, origami, and endurance sports.
Special Medical Interests:
- Robotic surgery
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Hernia Surgery
- Surgery for Esophageal Reflux
- BS in biology, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
- MD degree, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
- Internship: Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
- Residency: University of Kansas, Wichita, Kan.
- Board certified in general surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor
American College of Surgeons
- Medical Director and Board Chair, North Memorial Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Spirit of Creighton
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Best Doctor for Women, Minnesota Monthly Magazine, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Best Doctor, Minnesota Monthly Magazine, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Maple Leaf Award
- Active at St. Vincent de Paul church; musician and vocalist
- Active at Totino-Grace High School
Volunteer as a surgeon for:
- Hospital Bon Samaritain, Limbe, Haiti
- Institute for Latin America Concern Hernia Program for hernia and hydrocele repair, Santiago de los Cabballeros, Dominican Republic
- Hernia Help Now, Ouanaminthe, Haiti
- Common Hope, Surgical Procedures, Antigua, Guatemala
- Obras Sociales del Hermano Pedro